The monument of liberty in Hanko was erected in 1921 in remembrance of the landing of German forces in Hanko in 1918. When the citizens of Hanko came back after the area´s Soviet control in 1940-41, the monument had been removed. Damaged parts were repaired and the monument was rebuilt in 1943, but it was taken down again in 1946. The monument of Liberty was re-erected in 1960 with a new text: “for our liberty”. The monument is situated by the sea at the end of the street Bulevardi. The monument was designed by Ilmari Wirkkala and Leonard Savola (Granit) and constructed by sculptor Bertel Nilsson.